Skip to content

Ashton forced to retire

December 11, 2009

Dean Ashton has been forced to retire from playing football at the age of 26 after failing to recover from the ankle injury sustained while on England duty in August 2006. Despite surgery and intensive rehabilitation, Ashton has not been able to recover full fitness and, following independent medical advice, he has now decided to quit. With warnings about his long-term mobility, the Swindon-born striker has been left with no option but to retire.

West Ham United CEO Scott Duxbury said:

“This is a sad day and our thoughts are with Dean. I would like to place on record our thanks to him for all his efforts and wish him the very best. I would also like to thank the fans for their patience and understanding during what has been a difficult time.”

Ashton and West Ham are both said to be looking into compensation options. The striker is believed to be investigating whether both Shaun Wright-Phillips – whose tackle was responsible for injuring Ashton in that fateful England training session – and his employers at the time, Chelsea, can be the subject of legal action. Ashton is thought to be insured for £7million by West Ham. But the insurance claim against the FA will be a complex one, as Ashton eventually returned to action, so they could well be unsuccessful.

After missing a full season, he came back in 2007-08, playing 35 games and hitting 11 goals. It earned him a new five-year contract at Upton Park, with wages of about £50,000. He also won an England cap under Capello, playing against Trinidad & Tobago in June last year but he broke down again last September. In May this year, Ashton was hopeful he would be in good shape for the start of the season but he started to suffer continued problems with the ankle.

All the best to Dean and I hope we see him again soon, whether it be with coaching or as a Sports pundit on television. A real shame as he is just the striker that West Ham and England need at the moment.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. December 12, 2009 4:37 am

    thats a real shame! I really liked him as a player! i was one of those who thought he had a decent chance of going to south africa!

  2. George permalink
    December 12, 2009 2:25 pm

    Oops, I just wrote about exactly the same thing and then realised you’d already done it! I am silly.

    It’s such a shame, as Ashton was a quality player. I don’t think suing Chelsea and Wright-Phillips will get him anywhere though. It wasn’t a deliberate attempt by SWP to end his career, and Chelsea couldn’t do anything about it. That’s football!

  3. December 12, 2009 3:50 pm

    Teehee! It’s cool.

    I don’t think he will end up suing anybody but reading today that he can’t even run at the moment is just devastating!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: